No. 1 WashU and Wheaton Play to Double OT Draw

No. 1 WashU and Wheaton Play to Double OT Draw

St. Louis, Mo., Sept. 23, 2017 – The No. 1 ranked and defending national champion Washington University in St. Louis women's soccer team played to a 2-2 double overtime draw with Wheaton College (Ill.) Saturday at Francis Field in St. Louis. 

WashU fell to 7-0-1 and ran its unbeaten streak to 22 games dating back to last season, while Wheaton dropped to 3-3-2.

The Bears outshot Wheaton 27-8 for the contest, including 17-3 in the final 65 minutes. Sophomore goalkeeper Katy Hutson made two saves for the Bears, while Kathryn McGregor had six for Wheaton.

Wheaton had the early advantage in play, and Morgan Whitman put the Thunder up 1-0 in the 21st minute with a shot from 20 yards out that snuck over Hutson.

WashU answered right back in the 24th minute as junior Darcy Cunningham took a pass from sophomore Taylor Cohen in the box and beat the keeper to the near side.

The Bears had a 9-5 advantage in shots in the first half, including registering eight of the last nine.

It took WashU less than three minutes to get the lead back after a great run by Cunningham that resulted in a goal by Cohen after a deflection in the box. The goal for Cohen was her conference-leading eighth of the season.

The Bears held the lead till the 88th minute. Hudson made a diving save on a shot by Whitman, but Isabelle Oliver was there with the rebound into an open net to tie it.

WashU registered all six shots in overtime, and nearly won it in the 106th minute. Cohen's header was heading into the back of the net when Sarah Van Wingerden cleared it off the line to save the game.

WashU hosts Webster University (8-0) on Tuesday, Sept. 26, at 8 p.m. The Gorloks are one of 12 undefeated teams left in NCAA Division III. 

BEAR NOTEBOOK: Wheaton leads the all-time series 13-6-3 … WashU is 4-0-1 at home this year, and unbeaten in its last 26 games at Francis Field … Cunningham moved into a tie for second in the conference in assists (5).