Michael Flowers' Penalty Kick Lifts Men's Soccer to 1-0 Win at Illinois Wesleyan

Michael Flowers' Penalty Kick Lifts Men's Soccer to 1-0 Win at Illinois Wesleyan

Bloomington, Ill., Sept. 22, 2013 – Senior Michael Flowers converted a penalty kick in the 34th minute and the Washington University in St. Louis men's soccer team posted its second-straight shutout to defeat Illinois Wesleyan University 1-0 Sunday evening.

Flowers took advantage of a penalty kick opportunity after the Titans' Brian Morefield was issued a red card for a foul in the box. Flowers sent the kick to the lower left corner of the net to give the Bears a 1-0 lead. Washington U. had two more big scoring opportunities late in the first half when senior Manny Angel got the ball with space near the right post but his shot when just wide in the 39th minute. About three minutes later, freshman Kevin Goon beat a defender one-on-one and fired a shot but it went just over the crossbar to keep the score at 1-0 heading into halftime.

Junior David Wang made three big saves for the Bears on point-blank header shots by Illinois Wesleyan in the first half. Washington U. outshot IWU 10-5 in the first half, with both teams placing three shots on goal.

Early in the second half, Illinois Wesleyan had a pair of free kicks near the box, but the Washington U. defense cleared the ball each time without allowing a shot. In the 66th minute, the Titans had another free kick that sailed just over the goal. In the 77th minute, senior Jeremy Kirkwood passed the ball ahead to sophomore Connor Roach near the left post, but his shot was blocked out by the IWU goalkeeper to set up back-to-back corner kicks for the Bears, but they were unable to capitalize with an insurance goal.

In the 81st minute, freshman Jake Shapiro made a short pass to the middle of the field to Kirkwood who sliced past the IWU defenders for a breakaway shot, but the ball rolled just wide of the left post as the Titans' goalkeeper came out to try to make the stop. In the 89th minute, the Titans got a shot in the box that somehow got through three WUSTL defenders but rolled wide as the Bears preserved the shutout win.

Wang and senior Jonathan Jebson each played 45 minutes in goal for the Bears, combining for the team shutout. The Washington U. defense was outstanding throughout the match, and allowed just two shots, neither of which was on goal, in the second half. The Bears finished with a 14-7 shot advantage.

Washington U. (4-1-1) is scheduled to play a pair of road matches this week, beginning with a 7 p.m. contest at Greenville College Wednesday, Sept. 25, in Greenville, Ill. The Bears then travel to Wheaton, Ill., to face No. 16 Wheaton College at 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28.

Bear Notebook: Washington U. remained unbeaten against Illinois Wesleyan, improving to 11-0-2 all-time against the Titans … It was the first penalty kick attempted by the Bears since Oct. 23, 2011, at Loras College … The last time Washington U. converted a penalty kick in regulation was Oct. 6, 2010, at Westminster College … Washington U. has scored in each of its first six contests this season.